Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew

Hey, have you ever written a major motion picture screenplay and when the last word is down you just know with every fiber of your being, that one, and only one actor was born to play the leading role?

Well, such is the case for the role of Whisperfall Blevins in Latigo Flint's recently completed first-draft opus, tentatively titled: Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew.

Set in post-apocalyptic London, Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew tells the powerful and moving story of Whisperfall Blevins, a graceful street urchin who dreams of forming the world's very first post-apocalyptic jazz ballet dance troop.

Something is moving in the shadows of despair.

(That's probably the tagline that will go at the bottom of all the posters for Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew.)

Here are a few of the lines of dialogue that will surely appear in the trailer for Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew:

"Don't you get it boys? If EVER there was time to dance, it's now. It's now boys, it's gotta be now."

"Iron Steve on the wall, how's the world look today?"
"Same as yesterday Boss."
"Well, how's your toe point look today?"
"Count it off and see Boss, count it off and see."

"Tappin' Jim's starving... but hell, ain't he always?"

"Carlo can't be your partner 'cause his kick-turns are out of time?!!! Let me tell you something Rusty, if Carlo's kick-turns are out of time, then we're all out of time... and we ain't never gettin' it back."

"Don't talk to me about dyin'--frankly I don't want to hear it. You talk to me about dance or don't talk to me at all."


I tell you Hollywood, I know the writer typically doesn't have much say in the casting process, but hear me and hear me good--Frankie Muniz plays Whisperfall Blevins or I burn the only copy of the script right now. You take your Heath Ledgers and your Jay Baruchels and your Wentworth Millers and you stick 'em in a cross-dressing comedy or something. It's Frankie Muniz or nothing for the role of Whisperfall Blevins. I'm not afraid to burn a life's work, I do it all the time.

9 Comments:

At 4:14 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

It's crazy enough that it just....might...work.

But no one named Rusty. That just wouldn't be right. Please.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Zach Pennington said...

I cannot comment. I'm still smarting from that D&D crack.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Blog ho said...

if there are zombies in it i'll watch.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

zombie dancers?

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You have a role for Horace Goodtime, don't you? He's the guy whose dancing makes that clickety-clack sound like a flat tire on a rail car. Hardly any movie ith shanties is complete without Horace going clickety-clack.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Peter said...

"Don't talk to me about dyin'... frankly I don't want to hear it" that line is sheer brilliance, and then you go and add "You talk to me about dance or don't talk to me at all."
Bravo bravo, Author author!!!

Sorry I didn't answer your query about "Quigley down under" yeah Tom Sellick was great as usual,
HEEEEY there's a thought, Tom as Whisperfall Blevins...... That's if Frankie Muniz, IZ not available.... I'm just sayin'........

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zombies... delicious. Pack a good buzz, too.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Amandarama said...

"Don't talk to me about dyin'--frankly I don't want to hear it. You talk to me about dance or don't talk to me at all."

I say that to my mom whenever she calls to tell me my stepdad has drank himself into the hospital again.

But, I'd like to see this movie. Because the idea of dancers being that which is moving in the shadows of despair intrigues me. As long as no one casts Debbie Allen. She's more scary than zombies.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Latigo Flint said...

Sorry Sharon, it's Rusty! Oh yes, it's got to be Rusty. It needs to be Rusty. There will be a character and Rusty will be his name. He shall...be...Rusty!!!

Hey DMor, I'd freely admit my own D&D background but it might irrevocably tarnish my reputation as a Squinty-Eyed Gunslinger.
...
...
...
oops.

Sorry Ho, there are no zombies in Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew.

No Sharon, no zombie dancers either.

Hmm Old Hoss, I am a pretty big fan of the clickety-clack sound... Okay, you get to be Associate Producer on Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew.

Thank you warmly Peter. Caution though, we Yanks have pretty big egos already--probably shouldn't double up the bravos in my direction when one will suffice. (By the way, I'm making the "looking through the finger-box" director's move" right now at my Mr. Baseball poster... Good God! You may be on to something there!)

Damn it LBB, that was a vicious and inaccurate rumor, there won't be any zombies in Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew.

Do I owe you any usage fees for it Amandarama? I can pay in surreal complements... Amandarama, you set the limes in my eyes on fire.
(You will find neither attention starved choreographers nor zombies in Whisperfall and the Shantytown Crew.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home