Monday, July 04, 2005

Savage Blossoms - The Novel

by: Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm, FallenRanger, Cad Grublygold, Greg, Old Horsetail Snake, Ellinor, Amandrarama, Kid Relish, Blake McStravick, Ari, Roundelay and Latigo Flint. (Score by J. Jonah Jinxy, Jr.)

With weeping hearts and stoic faces we pushed ever westward, deep into that savage land of death and dogwood blossoms. Our caravan had traversed the lonely plains for two months, determined and weary before the onslaught of searing sunlight and cholera. Now five men, five of the bravest men I would ever know, trudged beside me leaving the rest buried under shallow graves of clay and granite.

On a distant hilltop, Chief Crazy Weasel squinted into the rising sun at five weary figures that had just appeared. The white man had come bringing disease and death to his fair land. The chief sharpened an arrow on the skull of the last white man to enter the valley and picked his teeth with it while he contemplated his next move.

As we walked ever westward, I told my companions to keep an eye sharply peeled and ogled, for we might be in Indian country. I had seen signs of pox, large and small. Not ten minutes later, Hidalgo, the eldest and most wizened of those five brave men, suddenly crouched down and urged us to stop with wave of his hand and a whispered, "Whoah, there, little brothers. I thinks I heard somethin'."

“Stop!” said Hidalgo, “What’s that sound?” “Everybody look what’s going down”, I said. And it was true.

Hidalgo's words were faint but audible at the far rear of the scattered formation where Tanner had taken up permanent, gloomy residence. "Gee I wonder if turtles can get rabies - everything else we've met seems to."

"My son..."
The feeble pastor accompanying Hildalgo whispered, "...the dogwood!" He gestured with his good arm, in the direction of a lonely stand of trees. Not ten feet away, a box turtle struggled on its back, foam oozing from its reptilian maw. Then, without warning, twelve arrows split the silent, sun-filled morning, all seeking purchase in a white man's flesh. The scent of dogwoods filled the air.

Peg-Leg Richard was the first to fall. He motioned to Hidalgo to come to him, and whispered, "Hidalgo, I think I'm a boner." Hidalgo squinted at him. "That's GONER, Peg-Leg." "Oh yeah, right," said Leg. "Win one for the Gipper."

There, in the shadows of the dogwood glen, we fought like the rabid woodland creatures we had faced so often in our travels, frothing and growling. But even the bravest among us feared that this might be our final stand.

The desert tortoise was the last to die.

The End

******************************

Thank you all for writing me a story, I adore you.

And by the way, I hold this truth to be self-evident:

That these United States are worthy of our love. Like any child, this young country of ours is bound to misbehave from time to time. It doesn't always listen, do what you want, do what you think it should.

But as parents love their child, so too should we never lose sight of how truly special it is; the incredible and unique things it has done. The incredible things it can do. How there were moments today, yesterday, every day, when it was absolutely beautiful. How proud it will make us if we care enough to continue to raise it.

As parents love their child... It's an old analogy I know, but an apt one I think.

"That all men are created equal." We wrote that down. Yes we've slipped in the implementation from time to time, and I don't mean to cast those slips inconsequential, because they weren't, aren't. But looking big picture-- you know, a history of the world type of view... Well, it was a remarkable document, and our ensuing attempts to adhere to its basic principles are every bit as.

Happy Independence Day America. Happy 4th of July.

11 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Blogger Jinxy said...

Happy 4th to you, Latigo. You're a good man.

The West is fortunate to have you.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Will you be doing the screenplay?

----------------------------------

Agreed on the sentiments you express, Mr. Flint. Nicely put.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger MikeyPDX said...

Nice work, all. I wish I'd been around to contribute.

Hope everyone out there is having a fun and safe Independence Day.

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In honor of this magnificent event of blog publishing, I've pinned the "Department of the Interior" badge on my computer's desktop. My monitor swells with pride...

...Which unfortunately makes my work really distorted. Is it a problem when you can't distinguish between a "5" and an "8"?

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Dave Morris said...

I, too, wish I had contributed to this marvelously rich western tale.

Your sentiments about America are seconded wholeheartedly, Latty.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger tabitha jane said...

driving to the coast through the beautiful oregon countryside yesterday reminded me of how much i LOVE living in this land! thanks for the reminder that although it isn't too "cool" to be patriotic (esp in my blue state), it is still damn great to live in america sometimes.


footnote: we are planning to move to germany for about a year though . . . doesn't mean i don't appreciate america.

by the way, great story! good job everyone!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Amandarama said...

Wow! Hey, thanks for including me! And a happy 4th of July to you too!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Blog ho said...

double damn.

1.) i missed out on the story creation.

2.) that was well said about children and i think a beating is in store for someone.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger slarrow said...

It brings a tear to my eye, Latigo. Both parts.

(says slarrow who's happy to have a new job and fast internet connection on breaks again.)

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger V said...

Cowboys write the best similes, Latty. ;)

To the rest of y'all, I am proud to be a part of this fine group of folk that are keeping literate yet entertaining freedom of speech alive and well.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just like the firecrackers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home